Implementation of the plan of actions by the IOC staff
Following the recommendations of the IOC Assembly and the IOC Executive Council the Executive Secretary in November 2008 appointed a part time consultant to help in the co-ordination and monitoring the implementation of the Anniversary Plan of Actions as well as all other activities related to the commemoration.
By the IOC Circular Letters N 2285 and 2286 Member States were informed of this decision and reminded of the need to contribute to the anniversary and inform the IOC secretariat of the contributions.
Below there is an abbreviated list of the input of the IOC secretariat to the anniversary:
- Visibility and promotional efforts globally and regionally (WESTPAC, IOCARIBE, Indian Ocean, etc.);
- Organization and assistance in the organization of the meetings, e.g. Ministerial Round Table on Oceans in October 2009; St. Petersburg Conference on Education and Awareness Raising in April 2010; Global Oceans Conference and symposium dedicated to the 50th anniversary within the Conference agenda in May 2010;
- Organization in UNESCO of a series of lectures delivered by world celebrities, e.g. Don Walsh, pilot of the bathyscaph USS Trieste and Maud Fontenoy, UNESCO Porte-parole on Oceans;
- Assistance in the preparation of the Book entitled “Troubled Waters: ocean science and governance” containing information about the history of the IOC and vision on the place and role of the Commission in the years to come;
- Development of the anniversary web page which has become operational from February 2010 with the content regularly updated and format improved;
- Preparations for and implementation of the inauguration day on 8 June 2010;
- Formulation of the proposals on the IOC contribution to EXPO 2010 to take place in Shanghai, China from 1 May to 31 October 2010 and development of the exhibits, such as a set of posters describing the progress of IOC in creating the global marine hazards warning system, and a video film on the environment of coastal cities and marine coastal hazards;
- Development of the Information Kit and a Power Point Presentation on the 50 years of IOC; More
- Production of promotional materials with the IOC anniversary logo (pens, banners, posters, medals, calendars, memory flash drives, anniversary logo, etc);
- Negociations with the Member States and partners on the "in kind and in funds" support to the anniversary activities.
- IOC Executive Secretary Speaks to the Members of the German Parliament. More
- IOC Executive Secretary delivering IMarEST Stanley Gray Lecture in London.
- IOC Chair and Executive Secretary participate in the EurOcean 2010 Events. More