Vision & Goals
The Universe, Yours to Discover
The International Year of Astronomy 2009 is a global effort initiated by the International Astronomical Union and UNESCO to help the citizens of the world rediscover their place in the Universe through the day- and night-time sky, and thereby engage a personal sense of wonder and discovery.
The vision of the International Year of Astronomy is to help people rediscover their place in the Universe through the sky, and thereby engage a personal sense of wonder and discovery. Everyone should realise the impact of astronomy and other fundamental sciences on our daily lives, and understand how scientific knowledge can contribute to a more equitable and peaceful society.
- Increase scientific awareness among the general public through the communication of scientific results in astronomy and related fields, as well as the process of research and critical thinking that leads to these results
- Promote widespread access to the universal knowledge of fundamental science through the excitement of astronomy and sky-observing experiences
- Empower astronomical communities in developing countries through the initiation and stimulation of international collaborations
- Support and improve formal and informal science education in schools as well as through science centres, planetariums and museums
- Provide a modern image of science and scientists to reinforce the links between science education and science careers, and thereby stimulate a long-term increase in student enrolment in the fields of science and technology, and an appreciation for lifelong learning
- Facilitate new, and strengthen existing, networks by connecting amateur astronomers, educators, scientists and communication professionals through local, regional, national and international activities
- Improve the gender-balanced representation of scientists at all levels and promote greater involvement by underrepresented minorities in scientific and engineering careers
- Facilitate the preservation and protection of our global cultural and natural heritage of dark skies and historical astronomical sites, through the awareness of the importance and preservation of the dark skies and astronomical sites for the natural environment and human heritage