United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
Risk management education
Latin America is a diverse in its social, cultural and geographic characteristics, where natural and socio-natural phenomena like earthquakes, storms, tsunamis, hurricanes, volcanic eruptions, etc. take place. These characteristics, associated with conditions of vulnerability like high levels of poverty, deficient education and health services, along with insufficient space for social articulation and participation in development processes, generate high-risk conditions.
This combination is reflected in several major disasters in the region: hurricane Mitch in Central America (1999), the successive rains caused by the El Niño phenomenon in South America, the earthquakes in Peru (2007) and Haiti (2009), and the earthquake and tsunami in Chile (2010), to name a few.
In addition to these major events, the region experiences small scale disasters, or “silent” disasters: floods, landslides, frosts and droughts do not have a visible national or international impact, but they are a source of significant destabilization of local economies, worsening the conditions of poverty that the most vulnerable people live in.
For this reason, there is a need to strengthen action in risk reduction through the education sector, , through actions that seek sustainable solutions to improve the quality of life for vulnerable populations, to reduce the risks they face from disasters, and to strengthen their capacities to adequately prepare and respond to emergencies.
As part of this challenge, OREALC/UNESCO Santiago is working together with Latin American and Caribbean countries to raise their awareness, mobilising and committing them to fulfilling the objective of the Decade on Education for Sustainable Development, basing themselves on the four pillars of education (learning to be; learning to do; learning to know; learning to live together): quality education for all and lifelong learning.
--> DIPECHO VII Project
Strengthening of the Regional Tsunami Early Warning System: preparations in Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru.
- 24-05-2013 - Techniques for integrating disaster risk reduction in education in the Caribbean will be discussed in seminar
- 03-04-2013 - La UNESCO contribuye a la reducción del riesgo frente a tsunamis en las escuelas de Chile
- 17-01-2013 - New publication: Chile 2012 disaster risk analysis
- 16-01-2013 - Analysis of disaster risk conditions in Chile
- 19-12-2012 - Education Ministry of Chile wins contest for best practice in disaster preparedness
- 03-12-2012 - Facing tsunamis in the South-East Pacific together
- 24-10-2012 - La UNESCO evalúa positivamente el primer simulacro binacional Chile-Perú de sismo y tsunami
- 15-10-2012 - Regional Network of Students on Tsunami Alert
- 14-10-2012 - Diploma Course on Tsunamis on the Pacific Coast of South America: Scientific groundings, threats and vulnerability
- 12-10-2012 - Astrid Hollander, Especialista de programa en Educación en Situaciones de Emergencia: los niños y las niñas son excelentes multiplicadores de la educación sobre el riesgo de desastres
- 05-10-2012 - Workshop on strengthening tsunami response planning and evacuation drills in Ecuador
- 04-10-2012 - Estudiantes líderes en preparativos ante tsunamis se reúnen en Bogotá
- 11-09-2012 - The South American countries along the Southeast Pacific are prepared to connect their tsunami warning systems
- 28-08-2012 - Project coordinated by UNESCO provides online educational material for tsunami preparation
- 25-07-2012 - Postulaciones hasta el 10 de agosto:
Consultor/a para la evaluación externa del proyecto DIPECHO de la UNESCO
- 26-06-2012 - National tsunami warning protocol in Peru
- 25-05-2012 - Workshop to strengthen Colombia’s Tsunami Warning and Response System was held in Bogotá
- 11-05-2012 - Consultor/a para Procedimientos Operacionales Estándar regionales de Tsunami, en Colombia, Chile, Ecuador y Perú
- 09-05-2012 - The “Students on Tsunami Alert” contest for Chile was launched in Iquique
- 25-04-2012 - UNESCO launches sub-regional competition “Students on Tsunami Alert”
- 27-03-2012 - UNESCO organized the Third National Workshop for tsunami capacity strengthening
- 09-01-2012 - Peru to hold national workshop to strengthen its tsunami early warning system
- 18-10-2011 - Educational authorities commit themselves to strengthening education to reduce disaster risk
UNESCO DIPECHO 7 project
Strengthening the Regional Tsunami Early Warning System – preparations in Chile, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru”
- Entrevista con Alvaro de Vicente, de ECHO
Alvaro de Vicente, Responsable de la Oficina de la Comisión Europea de Acción Humanitaria para América del Sur explica sus labores y acciones conjuntas con la UNESCO.
Vea el video aquí
- Mrs. Astrid Hollander - Programme Specialist in Education for Sustainable Development, Technical and Vocational Education and Education in Emergency Situations
OREALC/UNESCO Santiago (Website)
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org - Work Phone: +56 (2) 2472 46 41 - Fax: +56 (2) 2655 10 46
© UNESCO 1995-2010 - ID: 15028