Vacancy Announcement: UNESCO Windhoek Office recruits an International Programme Assistant in Community Radio Development
Closing date: 31 May 2012
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Office in Windhoek is seeking applications for a programme assistant in the field of Community Radio Development.
The position of the programme assistant ensures the assistance to the supervising officers in the operational implementation of activities. The level of the programme assistant post is at P1, with salaries being in accordance with United Nations scales (ICSC). The appointment is for a period of six (6) months, subject to the probationary period of three (3) months.
Individuals engaged are governed by the provisions of the UNESCO Staff Regulations and General Conditions as established by the Director-General of UNESCO.
1. The main tasks and responsibilities for the position relate to support to the office’s activities on Empowering local radios with ICTs:
o Assisting in the conceptualisation and design of the activities programmed, as reflected in the project document;
o Assisting in daily implementation and weekly monitoring of the activities and trainings as reflected in the project document;
o Assisting in the moderation of online networking among radio stations;
o Providing support to the smooth coordination of the project, in particular with regards to project fund management, financial reporting and liaison with the relevant HQ section;
o Maintaining strong relationships with stakeholders, partners (telecommunication operators, network providers, phone manufacturers, etc.) and the donor;
o Assisting in the identification of local experts and relevant partner institutions;
o Preparing progress reports and briefings as requested;
o Reviewing baseline studies, feasibility studies, needs assessments and final reports submitted by contractors;
o Assisting in providing visibility to the project through the organization of promotional events and production of publicity material such as video & podcasts;
o Performing any other duties as requested by the Director of the Office.
2. The incumbent must fulfill the following requirements:
• Education: Masters Degree in Humanities with experience working in communication for development projects or education related equivalent experience; good general culture.
• Professional Experience: At least two years of relevant work experience; experience acquired in the agencies of the UN system will be considered as an advantage.
- Familiarity or ability to quickly learn UNESCO relevant procedures;
- Technical writing skills on issues related to science and education activities;
- Very good organizational skills;
- Strong analytical and communication skills,
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and deliver to deadlines;
- Good computer skills including applications to establish/modify filing, reference and information systems;
- Ability to work as part of a team and to take initiatives to provide quality and timely support and services;
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
• Personality: Discretion and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
• Language skills: Good communication (oral and written) skills in English. Fluency in other languages will be considered as an advantage.
Individuals willing to apply to this position are invited to submit their CV and a cover letter supporting their application, either by post or e-mail, to:
Advisor for Communication and Information
UNESCO Office Windhoek
38-44 Stein Street
P.O. Box 24519