|Origin||In 1999, at its 30th session, the General Conference approved the creation of the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) (30 C/Res. 43).|
|Mission of the Institute||- To provide statistical information on education, science, culture and communication which helps decision-making in Member States;
- to foster the development of international statistics;
- to arrange for the collection, production, analysis and timely dissemination of policy-relevant statistics, indicators and related documentation;
- to support the development of the statistical and analytical capacities of Member States;
- to provide analysis services taking into account the needs of the Member States.
|Mandate of the Board||- To approve the general policy and the nature of the Institute’s activities;
- to set guidelines for the development of the programme, including an indication of the overall budget and of the balance of priorities;
- to examine the annual and other reports on the activities and yearly expenditures of the UIS.
|Composition||The Governing Board consists of 12 Members elected for a term of 4 years and sitting in a personal capacity, and not eligible for re-election for a second consecutive term. The General Conference elects 6 Members (half of whom – 3 members – are replaced at each session), the other 6 being designated by the Director-General.
Members elected at the 33rd session:
- (Morocco) Mr Ahmed Gouitaa
- (Uganda) Mr John Baptist Male-Mukasa
- (Germany) Mr Michael Söndermann
They will join the Experts elected at the 32nd session:
- (Viet Nam) Mr Lê Manh Hung*
- (Czech Republic) Mr Jaroslav Novák*
- (El Salvador) Mr Edmundo Salas*
Members designated by the Director-General:
- (France) Mr Jean-Louis Sarbib*
- (Finland) Ms Heli Jeskanen-Sundström*
- (United States of America) Mr Grover Whitehurst*
- (Japan) Mr Masayuki Inoue
- (Canada) Mr Yvon Fortin
- (Turkey) Mr Orhan Güvenen
The Members indicated by an asterisk serve until 31 December 2007, the others will serve until 31 December
- Mr Jean-Louis SARBIB (France),
elected by the Board for a 2-year term of office, from among its members.
|Meetings foreseen during the biennium||Once a year, in ordinary session, plus mid-term meetings of a Policy and Planning Committee.
8th session of the Governing Board: 8-10 November 2006.
|Sector/Division responsible||UNESCO Institute for Statistics (Montreal, Canada)|