EDUCAIDS supports national partners to identify needs and set priorities for a coordinated and comprehensive education sector response to HIV and AIDS.
There is no single “one size fits
all” approach for undertaking this process of needs analysis, prioritisation and work planning. What is essential, however, is the commitment to work through an inclusive process, ensuring opportunities for building ownership of the HIV and AIDS response across the education sector.
EDUCAIDS operates within recognised international development frameworks, such as:
- The Millennium Development Goals (2000);
- The UN General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) Declaration of Commitment on HIV/AIDS (2001; reviewed in 2006);
- Education for All (EFA) (Dakar 2000);
- The UNAIDS initiative for Universal Access to Prevention, Treatment, Care and Support (2005);
- The UNICEF campaign on Unite for Children, Unite against AIDS(2005);
- The United Nations Literacy Decade (UNLD) (2003-2012);
- Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (DESD) (2005-2014);
- World Programme for Human Rights Education (WPHRE) (2005).