|PETANQUE - Rules (36th Edition United Nations Interagency Games)The competition shall be governed by the General Rules of the Games and the rules of the French Pétanque Federation, except that the following articles and sections shall not apply:
Art. 2 (c) characters in bold type
Art. 2 (d) second paragraph
Art. 37 sections 2 and 3.
- Each organization may enter up to three teams in the competition. Each organization may have a maximum of two reserves. Each team shall consist of three players and one reserve (men or women), one of whom shall act as captain. No player may play in more than one formation, and no substitution may be made during an encounter. Each player in the threesome shall play with two balls.
- At the beginning of the competition, each captain shall nominate one player from the team to serve as an umpire. Three of the nominees shall be selected by the drawing of lots to serve as a jury to settle any dispute which may be referred to it by the director of the competition or by a team captain. The jury's decisions shall be final.
- The host organization shall provide the services of a director of the competition to keep the match records, to ensure that the rules are strictly observed and that the competition proceeds smoothly, and to convene the jury if the need arises.
- Depending upon the number of teams registered, two alternatives will be considered.
(a) Four groups: A, B, C and D
The two first teams of each group will qualify for the quarter finals. The other teams will play off for the final classification.
1st group A versus 2nd group C
1st group B versus 2nd group D
1st group C versus 2nd group A
1st group D versus 2nd group B.
The four winners will qualify for the semi finals which will be played according to a drawing of lots. The losers will play matches for classification for the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th places.
The two winners will play the final. The losers will play for the 3rd and 4th places. The matches will be played to 15 points.
(b) Two groups: A and B
The four winning teams of each group will qualify for the quarter
finals. The other teams will play off for the final classification.
1st group A versus 4th group B
2nd group A versus 3rd group B
3rd group A versus 2nd group B
4th group A versus 1st group B
The winners will qualify for the semi finals which will be played according to a drawing of lots. The losers will play matches for classification for the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th places.
The winners of the semi finals will play the final. The losers will play for the 3rd and 4th places. The matches will be played to 15 points.
- Each match shall be played in a marked area determined by the drawing of lots by the umpires. The team beginning the match shall be decided by the drawing of lots.
- Each match shall last 50 minutes or until 13 points have been scored, whichever occurs first. A team which is absent when a match is scheduled to begin shall forfeit the match, and the score shall be counted as 13 7. One penalty point shall be counted for every minute of delay:
(a) If the bell rings and the last ball is still rolling, the match is finished. If the bell rings when the last ball has stopped, a supplementary throw shall be necessary;
(b) If the score is even when the bell rings, each team shall receive one match point, otherwise the winner receives two match points, and the loser receives none.
- At the end of each match, the director shall communicate the results in writing to the Control Commission, together with the match records duly signed by the team captains.
- In case of bad weather, the jury shall decide whether to stop the competition temporarily or definitively, but only at the end of the game in progress. If the competition is stopped definitively, the teams shall be ranked according to their total of match points, and in case of a tie, the teams concerned shall be ranked by their total of game points.