The Federal Ministry for Education, Science and Culture is the leading organization within the Austrian Network for the EU Year of Education Through Sport ÖNNES.
- Organisation of the final ÖNNES 2004 event in Innsbruck on 12 January 2005. This event serves to introduce the UN Year of Sport and Physical Education of 2005.
- Competition to find the most physical education and sports-friendly school in Austria.
- Two health and sports promotion programmes “Healthy and sound”, “clever and fit” will have their focus extended and supplemented by service schemes (jointly with “Fit for Austria”, organized by the Federal Chancellery).
- Coubertin Award 2005:
Graduates of sports colleges will be awarded the Pierre de Coubertin medals given by the Federal Ministry for Education, Science and Culture in recognition of their excellent sports performance and their fair conduct, musical and social commitment within their school or exemplary commitment to youth work.
As a continuation of the EU Year of Education through Sport 2004, the Federal Chancellery is organizing:
- Project documentation, project evaluation, publicity.
- Project “Fit for Austria”:
Large-scale mass sport activities planned in co-ordination with Österreichische Bundes-Sportorganisation (BSO) and umbrella organizations.
- Fair Play activities in collaboration with:
Thomas Sykora, Austrian Ambassador for Fair Play and Tolerance, and the Vienna Institute for Development and Co-operation (VIDC).
- Continuation of the Top Sport Austria programme:
To promote top athletes.
- Sport Day (September 2005):
Austria’s largest sport event will be repeated in 2005. It also serves as a platform for the 2005 International Year of Sport.