UNESCO Goodwill Ambassadors for Culture
Celebrities amplify the mission of UNESCO in the domain of culture
- Goodwill Ambassadors © Unesco
UNESCO’s mission and activities are extended and amplified by an outstanding group of celebrity advocates who have generously accepted to use their talent and status to help focus the world’s attention on the work of the Organization.
UNESCO Goodwill Ambassadors advocate for the following cultural activities:
- Mehriban Aliyeva: Oral and Musical Traditions (Mugham etc.)
- Alicia Alonso: Promotion of ballet dancing
- Marin Constantin: Music and World Heritage
- H. E. Miguel Angel Estrella: Promotion of a culture of peace and tolerance through music; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpiece "The Andean Cosmovision of the Kallaway in Bolivia"
- Vigdís Finnbogadóttir: Promotion of linguistic diversity; women's rights, education, jury member for the Mondialogo School Contest 2005/2006; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpiece "Kihnu Cultural Space in Estonia"
- Bahia Hariri: Preservation of World Heritage, education on World heritage; environment; women's rights and sustainable development in the Arab World
- Omer Zülfü Livaneli: Peace and tolerance through music; cultural diversity; promotion of human rights
- Kitín Muñoz: Protection and promotion of indigenous culture and environment; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpieces "The Cultural Space of Jemaa El Fna" and "Moussem de Tan Tan" in Morocco
- H. E. Sheikh Ghassan I. Shaker: Fundraising, education for children and women in need; microfinance; made a donation to UNESCO's Programme for the safeguarding of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpiece "The Al-Sirah Al-Hilaliyya Epic in Egypt" and "The cultural space of the Boysun district in Uzbekistan"
- Madanjeet Singh: Founder of the South Asia Foundation; promotes regional co-operation through culture, education and sustainable development. In 1995, the UNESCO Executive Board established a biannual "UNESCO-Madanjeet Singh Prize for the Promotion of Tolerance and Non-Violence"
- Wole Soyinka: Promotion of African culture; human rights, freedom of expression
- Zurab Tsereteli: Cultural and artistic projects
- Giancarlo Elia Valori: Safeguarding of Intangible Heritage
- Marianna Vardinoyannis: Protection of childhood; promotion of Cultural Olympiads, humanitarian relief to war victims; co-sponsored the conference "Athens Round Table of Business Community against Trafficking of Human Beings"; sponsorship of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity - Masterpiece "Azerbaïjani Mugham"