Third International Conference of the UNESCO Memory of the World Programme
(Canberra - Australia)
From 19-02-2008 to 22-02-2008
The conference provides an opportunity to celebrate the achievements of this successful 15-year old programme, identify its shortcomings and propose improvements.
It is held in association with a symposium on Intangible Cultural Heritage on 18 February and is preceded by a meeting of the Regional Memory of the World Committee for the Asia-Pacific Region (MOWCAP) on 17 and 18 February.
The five main topics for discussion:
- Memory of the World in the UNESCO framework examining its status within UNESCO and its relationship to other UNESCO activities, such as Intangible Cultural Heritage, Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity, Cultural Diversity, Human Rights and Cultural and Natural Heritage;
- Global, regional and national perspectives reviewing the effectiveness of the international, national and regional programmes, including the respective registers, in fulfilling the aims of the programme;
- Preservation and access taking a fresh look at the socio-technical and socio-cultural aspects of preservation and access and their role in Memory of the World;
- Sustaining the programme exploring ideas, strategies and experiences to assist the growth of the Memory of the World;
- Evaluating success identifying gaps, inconsistencies and inequities in the programme and proposing solutions.
The programme includes tours to Canberra cultural institutions, a journey by historic train to Bungendore and workshops on 22 February dealing with: disaster preparedness, preservation planning, preparing a Memory of the World nomination, setting up a Memory of the World committee and website.
This event is organized by UNESCO Australia Memory of the World Committee.
- Start date - Local time: 19- 02- 2008
- End date - Local time: 22- 02- 2008
- Event Location : National Library of Australia
- Name of Contact 1 : Ian Cook, UNESCO Australian Memory of the World Committee
- E-mail address : firstname.lastname@example.org