All the African MCT projects are approaching the end of international support, a thorough overall final evaluation and impact assessment are crucial to determine whether their implementation has met the needs of the community and the planned objectives. Such an analysis will also help new telecentres to spread out in Africa and other developing regions.
Several research issues need to be answered in order to learn the lesson from the MCT projects, such as:
· The MCT service/user profile and how did it evolve over the years
· The technological resources of the MCT and how are they used
· The telecommunication and the Internet access contexts
· The impact of MCT information/education/cultural applications at the local community level
· The staff profile and tasks and and how well were they trained
· The progress of the MCT towards sustainability (financial, organizational, community participation)
· The socio-political impact of MCTs at the local/national level
· The efficiency of the current international and national partnership supporting MCTs
After having being periodically evaluated by the several organizations involved, therefore with different perspectives of research, a comprehensive final evaluation and impact assessment, taking into account all of the above-mentioned issues, is starting in 2002 and is expected to be released by December 2003.