UNESCO supports Independent Producers Forum in East Africa
© Lola Kenya Screen
The first East African Independent Producers Forum opens today in Nairobi, Kenya. It will bring together participants from eight countries: Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan and Uganda to discuss and make recommendations on the setting up of an East African Independent Producers Organization.
The following selected themes and topics, reflecting the key vision, mission and objectives of the Forum, will be addressed through various moderated discussions and presentations:
- Theoretical and political implications, modalities, expected results and working methods towards an East African Independent Producers Organization and an East African Convention on Cinematic Collaboration;
- Historical challenges of independent production in Africa;
- Role of government in the development of audiovisual media sector and assessment of necessary regional instruments;
- Towards a common vision and common voice: how to facilitate unity among East African independent producers;
- Role of broadcasters in the development of the East African audiovisual media sector, with the special focus on national and public service broadcasters.
The UNESCO Audiovisual E-Platform is a project started by UNESCO, in partnership with the Government of Spain, in 2004 with the overall aim to support international exchange of audiovisual content relating to development issues and to promote audiovisual production as a tool for cultural expression. The Platform also facilitates business-to-business exchanges among professionals in the audiovisual field such as directors, producers, film festival organizers, independent producers of content and broadcasters.
Lola Kenya Screen is an annual international audiovisual media movement that seeks to place production tools in the hands of children and youth for the advancement of literacy, gender equity, self expression and democracy. Lola Kenya Screen comprises a production workshop, film exhibition and audiovisual media platform for marketing, promoting and distributing films.
· Youth and ICT
· United Republic of Tanzania
· Creative Content: Radio, TV, New Media
Share this story: