St Petersburg, Russian Federation, 17-19 May 2005,
UNESCO is organizing a three-day expert meeting on "Cultural Diversity in Knowledge Societies" in St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, from 17 to 19 May 2005. The event takes place in the framework of the conference "UNESCO between the two phases of the World Summit on the Information Society" organized by the Russian authorities.
The expert meeting on "Cultural Diversity in Knowledge Societies" is one of UNESCO’s thematic meetings in preparation for the second meeting of the World Summit on the Information Society (Tunis, Tunisia, 16-18 November 2005).
The purpose of this meeting is to measure sustainability of Cultural diversity through the opportunities offered by ICT for future knowledge societies:
- new intercultural connections and networking;
- new opportunities to make old and new knowledge available;
- new opportunities to creativity;
- new access to cultural contents and services produced worldwide.
The meeting will also highlight the current challenges generated by NTICs:
Consult the provisional agenda
- digital divide;
- development issues;
- cultural and linguistic diversity;
- obstacles to access to ICTs;
- difficulties to produce local content.
The results of the Meeting will be made available to the participants of the second meeting of WSIS in Tunis through a Report including recommendations.